Definition of Pieter Brueghel
1. Noun. Flemish painter of landscapes (1525-1569).
Generic synonyms: Old Master
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pieter Brueghel
Literary usage of Pieter Brueghel
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Cyclopedia of Painters and Paintings edited by John Denison Champlin, Charles Callahan Perkins (1887)
"Subject also treated by Pieter Brueghel, the younger, Berlin Museum. CALVI, LAZZARO, born in Genoa in 1502, died there in 1587. ..."
2. The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge: Embracing by Johann Jakob Herzog, Philip Schaff, Albert Hauck (1910)
"... the old traditions were worthily maintained by a native school which included Quinten Massys, Pieter Brueghel the elder, and Lucas van Leyden. ..."
3. A Descriptive Catalogue of the Pictures in the Fitzwilliam Museum by Fitzwilliam Museum, Sidney Colvin, Frank Russell Earp (1902)
"Pieter Brueghel I. Flemish School, about 1525—1569. The first of a large family of ... The third son of Pieter Brueghel I., bom at Brussels in 1568. ..."
4. The University Prints: Student Series D. Art of the Netherlands and Germany ...by University Prints (Winchester, Mass.), University Prints, Boston by University Prints (Winchester, Mass.), University Prints, Boston (1907)
"... 15187-1570 92 Martin de Vos 1532 -1603 —TJ5 Pieter Brueghel, the Younger 15647-1638 97 Frans Fourbus, the Elder 1545 -1580 ..."
5. A handbook to the public picture galleries of Europe by Kate Mary Margaret Thompson (1878)
"His brother, the younger Pieter Brueghel (1564- 1637), was an artist of less ability, and, ... A contemporary of Pieter Brueghel the elder was Martin de Vos ..."