Definition of Pieter Brueghel the Elder
1. Noun. Flemish painter of landscapes (1525-1569).
Generic synonyms: Old Master
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pieter Brueghel The Elder
Literary usage of Pieter Brueghel the Elder
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge: Embracing by Johann Jakob Herzog, Philip Schaff, Albert Hauck (1910)
"... the old traditions were worthily maintained by a native school which included Quinten Massys, Pieter Brueghel the elder, and Lucas van Leyden. ..."
2. A Short History of Engraving & Etching, for the Use of Collectors and by Arthur Mayger Hind (1908)
"Far more truly national in character are the few plates of PIETER Pieter BRUEGHEL the elder, but they hardly betray the power that pro- Brueghel I. duced ..."
3. The University Prints: Student Series D. Art of the Netherlands and Germany ...by University Prints (Winchester, Mass.), University Prints, Boston by University Prints (Winchester, Mass.), University Prints, Boston (1907)
"Fall of the Angels Museum, Antwerp Pieter Brueghel, the Elder. 1530 7-1569. 93 . Peasant Wedding Imperial Gallery, Vienna 94 . ..."
4. Paris and Environs: With Routes from London to Paris : Handbook for Travellers by Karl Baedeker (Firm) (1904)
"To the right : 2300. Dutch School (16th cent.), Abraham's sacrifice; 1917. Pieter Brueghel the Elder, The beggars; above, ..."
5. Belgium and Holland, Including the Grand-duchy of Luxembourg: Handbook for by Karl Baedeker (Firm) (1905)
"Pieter Brueghel the elder, or 'Peasant Brueghel' (ca. 1525-1569), the earliest representative of this race of painters, travelled in Italy for the purpose ..."
6. A handbook to the public picture galleries of Europe by Kate Mary Margaret Thompson (1878)
"A contemporary of Pieter Brueghel the elder was Martin de Vos (1531-1603), who studied in Italy. Numerous examples of his crowded compositions are to be ..."
7. The American Magazine of Art by American Federation of Arts (1916)
"The real father of genre painting in the North is Pieter Brueghel, the Elder,, who. died, at Brussels in ..."