Definition of Spondias
1. Noun. Tropical trees having one-seeded fruit.
Generic synonyms: Dicot Genus, Magnoliopsid Genus
Group relationships: Anacardiaceae, Family Anacardiaceae, Sumac Family
Member holonyms: Hog Plum, Spondias Mombin, Yellow Mombin, Yellow Mombin Tree, Jocote, Mombin, Mombin Tree, Spondias Purpurea
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Spondias Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Spondias
Literary usage of Spondias
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Paxton's Magazine of Botany, and Register of Flowering Plants by Joseph Paxton (1849)
"Its cultivation is the same as that of Spondias lútea. P. MANGIFERA.—Daho, Mango-plum, Bitter Hog-plum, Mangifera pinnata of ..."
2. A Botanical Materia Medica: Consisting of the Generic and Specific by Jonathan Stokes (1812)
"... folioles obovate, entire and emarginate. Petioles slightly compressed, angular. Obs. 8527. Specimen gathered by Dr. Wright in Jamaica. Spondias ..."
3. Hooker's Journal of Botany and Kew Garden Miscellany by William Jackson Hooker (1855)
"... grown out over them ; the trees have now no flowers, but I think they are a species of Spondias ; the fence is many yards long, and every tree is alike. ..."
4. The New International Encyclopædia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1903)
"Spondias purpurea has fruit about an inch in length, ovate or oblong, purple or variegated with ... An important species is the ti or tahiti apple (Spondias ..."
5. Winston's Cumulative ... Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Reference Bookby Charles Morris by Charles Morris (1918)
"... (hö'en- •"•"Ь г*-"-1"-) plants belonging to the ernst'täl), a town in Germany, kingdom genus Spondias, ..."