Definition of Cariama cristata
1. Noun. Brazilian Cariama; sole representative of the genus Cariama.
Generic synonyms: Wader, Wading Bird
Group relationships: Cariama, Genus Cariama
Cariama Cristata Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Cariama Cristata Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Cariama Cristata
Literary usage of Cariama cristata
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Argentine Ornithology: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Birds of the Argentine by Philip Lutley Sclater, William Henry Hudson (1889)
"cariama cristata, Sci. et Salv. Nomencl. p. 141. Description.—Plumage yellowish grey, with numerous narrow darker and lighter cross bands ; lower belly not ..."
2. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1909)
"the crested, cariama cristata Linn., and Burmeister's seriema, Chunga burmeisteri (Hartl). Among other noteworthy species of birds may be mentioned both ..."
3. The Cambridge Natural History by Sidney Frederick Harmer, Arthur Everett Shipley (1899)
"cariama cristata, the Seriema, or Crested Screamer (p. 110), extending from Pernambuco to Paraguay and Matto Grosso, is ochreous-grey above with zigzag ..."
4. The Ibis by British Ornithologists' Union (1901)
"... (cariama cristata) is often heard, especially in the early morning, while the sweet plaintive call of ..."