Definition of Castilleja
1. Noun. Genus of western North and South American perennials often partially parasitic on roots of grasses.
Generic synonyms: Asterid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Family Scrophulariaceae, Figwort Family, Foxglove Family, Scrophulariaceae
Member holonyms: Indian Paintbrush, Painted Cup
Lexicographical Neighbors of Castilleja
Literary usage of Castilleja
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. History of the Conquest of Mexico, with a Preliminary View of the Ancient by William Hickling Prescott (1876)
"... by the presence of visitors, to which he was necessarily exposed at Seville, he withdrew to the neighboring village of castilleja de la Cuesta, ..."
2. History of the Conquest of Mexico: With a Preliminary View of the Ancient by William Hickling Prescott (1886)
"... he withdrew to the neighboring village of castilleja de la Cuesta, attended by his son, who watched over his dying parent with filial solicitude. ..."
3. Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory of the University of Pennsylvania by University of Pennsylvania Botanical Laboratory, University of Pennsylvania, Botanical Laboratory (1907)
"castilleja hispida Benth. Emerald Lake, Shaw. castilleja ... castilleja pallida Kunth. Sulphur Mountain at Banff, Lakes Louise, Moraine, McArthur and ..."
4. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States: Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1898)
"3321.) Bartsia acuminata Pursh, Fl. Am. Sept. 429. 1814. castilleja ... castilleja pallida var. septentrionalis A. Gray, in Brew. & Wats. Bot. Cal. i: 575. ..."