Definition of Condylura
1. Noun. Star-nosed moles.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Talpidae, Talpidae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Condylura Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Condylura
Literary usage of Condylura
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Medical and Physical Researches; Or, Original Memoirs in Medicine, Surgery by Richard Harlan (1835)
"condylura macroura, Nob. Char.—Nose surrounded with a circular fringed membrane, ... whilst F. Cuvier gives as characteristic of his genus condylura, ..."
2. Journal of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1825)
"This beautiful species does not appear to me to have been described ; it was brought from the coast Bengal. te on the genus condylura of Illiger. ..."
3. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"condylura, Illig. In the animals belonging to this genus, the two kinds of dentition peculiar to the Insectivora seem to be combined. ..."
4. Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio by Geological Survey of Ohio (1882)
"But the most remarkable characters of condylura are found in the ... Baird, as forming a connecting link between the Moles and the Shrews. condylura ..."
5. Psyche by Cambridge Entomological Club (1893)
"There has been discovered in the state of Maine a species of the genus condylura of Illiger, which presents characters distinct from those of the two ..."