Definition of Dnieper river
1. Noun. A river that rises in Russia near Smolensk and flowing south through Belarus and Ukraine to empty into the Black Sea.
Group relationships: Russia, Russian Federation, Belarus, Belorussia, Byelarus, Byelorussia, Republic Of Belarus, White Russia, Ukraine, Ukrayina
Generic synonyms: River
Dnieper River Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Dnieper River Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dnieper River
Literary usage of Dnieper river
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Ukraine, the Land and Its People: An Introduction to Its Geography by Stephen Rudnicki (1918)
"From Kiev down, the dnieper river turns in a flat curve to the southeast and ... The tributaries of the dnieper river in this section are of far less ..."
2. Russia Through the Stereoscope: A Journey Across the Land of the Czar from by Mabel Sarah Emery (1901)
"... and if we go up on one of the high hills of the town, we can look off for miles and miles up the beautiful dnieper river. Turning to our map again, ..."
3. King's Complete History of the World War ...: 1914-1918. Europe's War with by William C. King (1922)
"The plight of the Bolshevik forces along the dnieper river was becoming increasingly critical; insurgent bands were harassing their flanks and large numbers ..."
4. Naylor's System of Teaching Geography: Adapted to Pelton's Outline Maps by Benjamin Naylor (1851)
"... in the south-western part of Russia—flows first an easterly, then a south-easterly course—is a branch of the dnieper river, and is 450 miles long. ..."
5. Naylor's System of Teaching Geography: Adapted to Pelton's Outline Maps by Benjamin Naylor, Cale Pelton (1848)
"DESNA R.—Rises in the southern interior of Russia—flows a southeast, a southerly, and lastly, a south-westerly course—is a branch of the dnieper river—and ..."
6. Elementary Geography by Henry Justin Roddy (1902)
"What waters would a boat pass through in floating from dnieper river to the Atlantic Ocean ? Why is the dnieper river said to be on the Atlantic slope ? ..."