Definition of Elaeagnaceae
1. Noun. Shrubs or small trees often armed.
Generic synonyms: Dicot Family, Magnoliopsid Family
Group relationships: Myrtales, Order Myrtales, Order Thymelaeales, Thymelaeales
Member holonyms: Elaeagnus, Genus Elaeagnus
Lexicographical Neighbors of Elaeagnaceae
Literary usage of Elaeagnaceae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord. Britton, Hon. Addison. Brown (1913)
"elaeagnaceae Lindi. Nat. Syst. Ed. 2, 194. 1836. OLEASTER FAMILY. Shrubs or trees, mostly silvery-scaly, or stellate-pubescent, with entire alternate or ..."
2. Gray's New Manual of Botany: A Handbook of the Flowering Plants and Ferns of by Asa Gray, Benjamin Lincoln Robinson, Merritt Lyndon Fernald (1908)
"elaeagnaceae (OLEASTER FAMILT) Shrubs or small trees, with silvery-scurfy leaves and perfect or ... elaeagnaceae ..."
3. The Natural History of Plants: Their Forms, Growth, Reproduction, and by Anton Kerner von Marilaun, F. W. Oliver (1895)
"In the elaeagnaceae the cup- shaped receptacle persists as an envelope around the fruit, and becoming succulent Fig. 427. ..."
4. Flora of Pennsylvania by Thomas Conrad Porter (1903)
"Ovule and seed erect : plants with scales. Fam. 2. elaeagnaceae. ... elaeagnaceae Lindl. OLEASTER FAMILY. 1. ELAEAGNUS L. Free portion of the hypanthium ..."