Definition of Family Araceae
1. Noun. Anthurium; calla lily; jack-in-the-pulpit; philodendron.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Family, Monocot Family
Group relationships: Arales, Order Arales
Member holonyms: Aroid, Arum, Genus Arum, Acorus, Genus Acorus, Acoraceae, Subfamily Acoraceae, Aglaonema, Genus Aglaonema, Genus Alocasia, Genus Amorphophallus, Genus Anthurium, Arisaema, Genus Arisaema, Arisarum, Genus Arisarum, Genus Caladium, Calla, Genus Calla, Colocasia, Genus Colocasia, Genus Cryptocoryne, Dieffenbachia, Genus Dieffenbachia, Genus Dracontium, Dracunculus, Genus Dracunculus, Epipremnum, Genus Epipremnum, Genus Lysichiton, Genus Lysichitum, Lysichiton, Lysichitum, Genus Monstera, Genus Nephthytis, Genus Orontium, Orontium, Genus Peltandra, Peltandra, Genus Philodendron, Genus Pistia, Genus Pothos, Genus Scindapsus, Scindapsus, Genus Spathiphyllum, Genus Symplocarpus, Symplocarpus, Genus Syngonium, Syngonium, Genus Xanthosoma, Xanthosoma, Genus Zantedeschia, Zantedeschia
Derivative terms: Araceous
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Araceae
Literary usage of Family Araceae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Lessons in Botany by George Francis Atkinson (1900)
"The arum family (araceae).—This family is well represented by several plants. ... family Araceae ..."
2. Bulletin by United States Bureau of Plant Industry (1905)
"... States north to Labrador, westward to California and Alaska. Part used.—Leaves (official). Arisaema triphyllum (L. ) Torr. Arum family (Araceae). ..."
3. A College Text-book of Botany: Being an Enlargement of the Author's by George Francis Atkinson (1905)
"The arum family (Araceae). Flowers in a fleshy spadix. Examples: Indian turnip (Arisa;ma), sweet-flag (Acorus), skunk- cabbage ..."
4. A College Text-book of Botany: Being an Enlargement of the Author's by George Francis Atkinson (1905)
"The arum family (Araceae). Flowers in a fleshy spadix. Examples: Indian turnip (Arisaema), sweet-flag (Acorus), skunk- cabbage ..."
5. The Town of St. Johnsbury, Vt.: A Review of One Hundred Twenty-five Years to by Edward Taylor Fairbanks (1914)
"... tables prepared at the Fairbanks Museum PLANTS AND SHRUBS Amaranth Family Amaranthaceae Amaranth Green or Pigweed Aram family Araceae Arum Water Flag ..."