Definition of Family Notonectidae
1. Noun. Aquatic carnivorous insects.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Family
Group relationships: Hemiptera, Order Hemiptera
Member holonyms: Genus Notonecta, Notonecta
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Notonectidae
Literary usage of Family Notonectidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Entomology for Beginners for the Use of Young Folks, Fruit-growers, Farmers by Alpheus Spring Packard (1888)
"family Notonectidae.—Boat-shaped, aquatic forms, differing from all other Hemiptera by swimming on their backs. Notonecta undulata Say. ..."
2. Applied Entomology; an Introductory Text-book of Insects in Their Relations by Henry Torsey Fernald (1921)
"family Notonectidae.—The Back- swimmers (Fig. 174) as they are termed, live in fresh water. They Fio. 173. Fio. 174. Fio. 173. ..."
3. Zoology of the Invertebrata: A Text-book for Students. by Arthur Everett Shipley (1893)
"A few families may be mentioned : Family NOTONECTIDAE (water-boatmen).—These insects always swim on their back, which is convex, like the bottom of a boat, ..."
4. Entomological News and Proceedings of the Entomological Section of the by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Entomological Section (1907)
"... in the present chaotic condition of the American species of the genus it has been thought best not to attempt to list them. Family NOTONECTIDAE Leach. ..."