Definition of Fill up
1. Verb. Make full, also in a metaphorical sense. "They fill up the cart with boxes "; "Fill the child with pride"
Generic synonyms: Alter, Change, Modify
Specialized synonyms: Clutter, Clutter Up, Clog, Overload, Brim, Farce, Stuff, Stuff, Bolster, Pad, Populate, Top Off, Heap, Overfill, Ink, Fill Again, Refill, Replenish, Prime, Line, Complete, Impregnate, Saturate, Impregnate, Infuse, Instill, Tincture, Electrify, Lube, Lubricate, Surcharge, Lade, Laden, Load, Load Up, Charge, Load, Deluge, Flood, Inundate, Swamp, Pack
Derivative terms: Fill, Filler, Filler, Filler, Filling
Also: Fill In, Fill Out
2. Verb. Become full. "The theater filled up slowly"
Generic synonyms: Change State, Turn
Specialized synonyms: Water, Flood, Rack Up
Derivative terms: Fill, Filling
3. Verb. Fill or stop up. "Can you close the cracks with caulking?"
Generic synonyms: Fill
Specialized synonyms: Seal, Plug, Secure, Stop Up, Coapt, Conglutinate
Derivative terms: Closing, Closure
4. Verb. Eat until one is sated. "He filled up on turkey"
Definition of Fill up
1. Verb. To make a container full. ¹
2. Verb. To become full. ¹
3. Verb. (idiomatic colloquial) To annoy, or displease, by taunting, or by excessive nagging. ¹
4. Verb. To satisfy someone's hunger. ¹
5. Verb. (poker slang) To make a full house on the turn or the river. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Fill Up
Literary usage of Fill up
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine (1835)
"Then fill up your cup, and I'll fill up my can— A fig for the Whigs, and their master King Dan; We shall soon see them both to the ..."
2. The Complete Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott by Walter Scott (1900)
"Come fill up my cup, etc. As he rode down the sanctified bends of the Bow, ... Come fill up my cup, come fill up my can, Come saddle the horses and call up ..."
3. Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Standard Work of Reference in Art, Literature (1907)
"We may therefore always expect to be able to fill up the raps in one district from the more complete geological formations of another. In fig. ..."