Definition of Fire truck
1. Noun. Any of various large trucks that carry firemen and equipment to the site of a fire.
Specialized synonyms: Aerial Ladder Truck, Ladder Truck
Generic synonyms: Motortruck, Truck
Definition of Fire truck
1. Noun. (firefighting) A ladder truck, a vehicle used by firefighters to gain access to the upper stories of a building. Typically, a fire truck has a hydraulic system which operates a large, heavy-duty ladder mounted on top of the truck body, space for portable ladders to be stored and compartments for holding other tools that may be needed. Unlike a fire engine, trucks do not have pumps or carry water. ¹
2. Noun. Any fire apparatus, such as a fire truck or fire engine. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Fire Truck Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Fire Truck Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Fire Truck
Literary usage of Fire truck
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Judicial and Statutory Definitions of Words and Phrases by West Publishing Company (1904)
"Civ. Code La. 1900, art 3556, subd. 14. The word "forced," in an allegation that plaintiff was forced from a fire truck, while in motion, to the ground ..."
2. American Negligence Reports, Current Series Cited Am. Neg. Rep.: All the by United States (1898)
"—The driver of a fire truck who, in going to a fire, approaches a'street in which there is ... COLLISION BETWEEN fire truck AND STREET CAR —DEATH OF FIREMAN ..."
3. Dyke's Automobile and Gasoline Engine Encyclopedia by Andrew Lee Dyke (1920)
"fire truck Engin«—How Cooled. Q.—How does the engin« on an automobile fire truck cool itself when the engine is running continuously for long periods with ..."
4. Inventory of the Town and City Archives of Rhode Island by Historical Records Survey Rhode Island (1765)
"... 1924. permission to move fire siren tower [Geneva), 1925. permission to use land fcr cemetery purposes, 1925. fire truck for Fruit Hill Company, ..."
5. The Ohio Nisi Prius Reports by Ohio Courts (1920)
"... who was at the time in the course of his duty driving a fire truck for the purpose of testing it. The allegations of the petition as to negligence are, ..."
6. Hartwick New York--Heart of Otsego County by Town of Hartwick Historical Society (2002)
"The first motorized fire truck was a 1940 Plymouth pickup truck. ... Dinners were held and monies saved to buy a real fire truck and build a real Fire Hall. ..."