¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Fishless
1. having no fish [adj]
Lexicographical Neighbors of Fishless
Literary usage of Fishless
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Mosquitoes: How They Live; how They Carry Disease; how They are Classified by Leland Ossian Howard (1902)
"Introduction of Fish into fishless Ponds. It happens quite often that larger or smaller ponds will be found which for some reason or other are considered ..."
2. Wanderings by the Lochs and Streams of Assynt: And the North Highlands of by John Hicks (1855)
"... Rain—A fishless Loch. —Ben Mhor—The Sugar Loaf. THE following morning I went out again with Mr. Ross, jun., and hooked one grilse, who felt the barb too ..."
3. Preventive Medicine and Hygiene by Milton Joseph Rosenau, George Chandler Whipple, John William Trask, Thomas William Salmon (1921)
"By the draining of marshes is meant the draining of the pools of stagnant water, or in the case of coastal marshes the draining of the stagnant fishless ..."
4. The Mosquitoes of North and Central America and the West Indies by Leland Ossian Howard, Harrison Gray Dyar, Frederick Knab (1912)
"We may mention mill ponds which, where they have grassy borders and cause the backing up of rapid streams for a long distance into fishless shallows and ..."
5. The National Review edited by Richard Holt Hutton, Walter Bagehot (1855)
"... an actual sea within reach, of which it can be all but demonstrated that it is fishless, —that it, at least, was not Created on purpose to sustain fish. ..."
6. Conservation Assessment for Inland Cutthroat Trout: Distribution, Status and edited by Donald A. Duff (1998)
"Included would be lakes and streams that were historically fishless but that currently support non-native species. It may also be desirable to introduce ..."