Definition of Genus-Megapodius
1. Noun. Type genus of the Megapodiidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Megapodiidae, Megapodiidae
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus-Megapodius
Literary usage of Genus-Megapodius
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Handbook to the Birds of Australia by John Gould (1865)
"Genus MEGAPODIUS, Quay et Gaimard. The members of this genus inhabit many of the Indian and Philippine Islands ..."
2. Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Charles Knight (1837)
"The characters of the genus Megapodius, observes M. Lesson, established by MM. Quoy and Gaimard in the Zoology of the voyage round the world performed by ..."
3. Birds by Eugene William Oates, William Thomas Blanford (1889)
"Genus MEGAPODIUS, Quoy & Gairn., 1824. Bill moderate ; nostrils large, oval, longitudinally elongate ; legs and feet large, claws very long and nearly ..."
4. Report of the Annual Meeting (1837)
"... a few species extending northwards to Mexico : one genus (megapodius) inhabiting New Guinea, forms another link of connection between the Australian and ..."