Definition of Genus Abutilon
1. Noun. Herbs or shrubs or small trees: flowering maple; Indian mallow.
Generic synonyms: Dilleniid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Family Malvaceae, Mallow Family, Malvaceae
Member holonyms: Flowering Maple, Abutilon Theophrasti, Butter-print, China Jute, Indian Mallow, Velvet-leaf, Velvetleaf, Velvetweed
Genus Abutilon Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Abutilon Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Abutilon
Literary usage of Genus Abutilon
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Genera Florae Americae Boreali-orientalis Illustrata: The Genera of the by Asa Gray (1849)
"I do not possess sufficient materials for properly characterizing the sections into which the genus Abutilon is to be divided. ..."
2. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1859)
"In those of the genus Abutilon, the young wood was killed. They all recovered after some weeks. ..."
3. The Fertilisation of Flowers by Hermann Müller, Charles Darwin (1883)
"(5) Among hybrids of the genus Abutilon, there is more or less complete sterility between nearly related individuals—between parent-plants and their ..."
4. Darwin, and After Darwin by George John Romanes (1906)
"... will generally be fertilized very readily by the pollen of another species. The self-sterile species of the genus Abutilon, ..."
5. Annual Report by Columbus Horticultural Society, Columbus, Ohio (1900)
"The genus abutilon contains some of the most important ornamental plants of the mallow family. The genus numbers altogether about ninety species, ..."