Definition of Genus Acanthurus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Acanthuridae: doctorfishes.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Acanthuridae, Family Acanthuridae
Member holonyms: Acanthurus Chirurgus, Doctor-fish, Doctorfish
Genus Acanthurus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Acanthurus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Acanthurus
Literary usage of Genus Acanthurus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Geology of New Jersey by New Jersey Geological Survey, George Hammell Cook (1868)
"... but never abundantly : and during some seasons it does not make its appearance. Has been caught in the Hudson River. Very rare Genus ACANTHURUS. ..."
2. The Natural History of Secession by Thomas Shepard Goodwin (1865)
"... herbivorous fishes which inhabit Fig. 208. the warm seas. About a hundred species have been described. The genus Acanthurus contains the Surgeon, ..."
3. Guide to the Gallery of Fishes in the Department of Zoology of the British by William George Ridewood (1908)
"Surgeon- The Surgeon-fishes, fishes belonging to the genus Acanthurus, Wall are readily recognised by the single, sharp, lancet-shaped spine case 15. with ..."
4. Natural History: A Manual of Zoology for Schools, Colleges, and the General by Sanborn Tenney (1872)
"... herbivorous fishes which inhabit Fig. aos. the warm seas. About a hundred species have been described. The genus Acanthurus contains the Surgeon, ..."
5. The U. S. Coal Industry, 1970-1990: Two Decades of Change (1992)
"The more dangerous surgeonfishes, which belong to the genus Acanthurus, usually carry these spines flat against their bodies in integumentary sheaths; ..."