Definition of Genus Bombyx
1. Noun. Type genus of the Bombycidae: Chinese silkworm moth.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Bombycidae, Family Bombycidae
Member holonyms: Bombyx Mori, Domestic Silkworm Moth, Domesticated Silkworm Moth, Silkworm
Genus Bombyx Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Bombyx Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Bombyx
Literary usage of Genus Bombyx
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Moth Book: A Popular Guide to a Knowledge of the Moths of North America by William Jacob Holland (1903)
"Of these the genus Bombyx is the only one which is well known. The family has been characterized as ... Genus BOMBYX Linnaeus (i) Bombyx mori Linna;us. ..."
2. Transactions of the American Entomological Society. by American Entomological Society (1871)
"8J, is not improbably, H. roseata Walk., or at least an allied species. Under the genus Bombyx, Dr. Boisduval enumerates the American species of ..."
3. The Entomologist; an Illustrated Journal of General Entomology by Edward Newman, Royal Entomological Society of London (1898)
"... unless we count B. mori, Linn., which is the type of the genus Bombyx, Linn., and which, I believe, occurs in a semi-wild state in the South of Europe. ..."
4. Chambers's Information for the People by William Chambers, Robert Chambers (1875)
"Besides these species of the genus Bombyx, there are species of other genera which yield useful silk, and foremost amongst them is ..."
5. The Silk Industry in America: A History: Prepared for the Centennial Exposition by Linus Pierpont Brockett (1876)
"The best silk-worms are those of the genus Bombyx, most of which feed, in preference, on the leaves of the white mulberry (morus alba), though some of them ..."