Definition of Genus Chordeiles
1. Noun. A genus of Caprimulgidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Caprimulgidae, Family Caprimulgidae
Member holonyms: Bullbat, Mosquito Hawk, Nighthawk
Genus Chordeiles Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Chordeiles Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Chordeiles
Literary usage of Genus Chordeiles
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington by Biological Society of Washington (1915)
"Mr. FE Beddard * in 1886, quoting a manuscript note left by Professor Garrod, stated that the genus Chordeiles possesses no gall bladder. ..."
2. A Monograph of the Jumping Plant-lice: Or Psyllidæ, of the New World by David Livingston Crawford (1914)
"... show their proper phylogenetic relationship, is, however, desirable, probably out of the question in a complicated group like the genus Chordeiles. ..."
3. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1907)
"He adds: "There are at least ten species of this peculiar form," all confined to South America, but no others are cited. genus Chordeiles. ..."
4. The Birds of Eastern North America Known to Occur East of the Nineteenth by Charles Barney Cory, Field Museum of Natural History (1899)
"... 50° to Mexico and Porto Rico; a common species in localities in New England, Illinois, etc. genus Chordeiles. SWAINS. 337 (420) CHORDEILES VIRGINIANUS. ..."
5. The Code of Nomenclature and Check-list of North American Birds Adopted by by American Ornithologists' Union (1886)
"II. 1856, 389. [B —, C -, R 356, C 395.] HAB. Valley of the Lower Rio Grande, south through Central and most of South America. genus Chordeiles SWAINSON. ..."