Definition of Genus Kinosternon
1. Noun. Type genus of the Kinosternidae.
Generic synonyms: Reptile Genus
Group relationships: Family Kinosternidae, Kinosternidae
Member holonyms: Mud Turtle
Genus Kinosternon Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Kinosternon Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Kinosternon
Literary usage of Genus Kinosternon
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Biographical Memoirs by National Academy of Sciences (U.S.) (1905)
"... 41), and in the last volume (III, 27) he referred to " the anatomical part of this work for a full description of the genus " Kinosternon. ..."
2. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington by Biological Society of Washington (1903)
"Acad., IV, ii, p. 205) for the species C. clausa, C. pennsylvanica, and C. odorata. In 1824, Spix (Testud. Brasil., p. 17) instituted the genus Kinosternon, ..."
3. Biodiversity and the Management of the Madrean Archipelago: The Sky Islands edited by Leonard F. DeBano (1999)
"Turtles of the genus Kinosternon are relatively long-lived (Gibbons and Semlitsch, 1982) and are excellent models for life history and demographic studies ..."
4. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1855)
"In this respect it somewhat resembles the genus Kinosternon, but there the shield is only narrower at the inner end, and rather nearer to the centre of the ..."