Definition of Genus Kogia
1. Noun. Pygmy sperm whales.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Physeteridae, Physeteridae
Member holonyms: Kogia Breviceps, Pygmy Sperm Whale, Dwarf Sperm Whale, Kogia Simus
Genus Kogia Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Kogia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Kogia
Literary usage of Genus Kogia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Barnacles (Cirripedia) Contained in the Collections of the U.S. National by Henry Augustus Pilsbry (1907)
"E. Genus KOGIA. Kogia floweri Gill. Amor. Nat.. IV. p. 738; fig. 167, p. 736, and fig. 172, p. 741, 1871. 8016. Mandible and water-color sketch of entire ..."
2. The Cambridge Natural History by Sidney Frederick Harmer, Arthur Everett Shipley (1902)
"The genus Kogia (sometimes written Cogia), the so-called " Pygmy Sperm Whale," is a southern form of much smaller dimensions than its gigantic ally just ..."
3. The Mammals of Pennsylvania and New Jersey: A Biographic, Historic and by Samuel Nicholson Rhoads (1903)
"genus Kogia Gray, Zoology Voyage Erebus and Terror, Vol. 1, 1846, p. 22. Pigmy Sperm Whale. Kogia breviceps (De Blainville). 1838. ..."
4. An Introduction to the Osteology of the Mammalia by William Henry Flower (1885)
"The hyoid in Physeter and in the allied genus Kogia is remarkable for the great breadth and flatness of the basi- and the ..."