Definition of Genus Leucothoe
1. Noun. American and Asiatic deciduous and evergreen shrubs.
Group relationships: Ericaceae, Family Ericaceae, Heath Family
Member holonyms: Leucothoe, Dog Hobble, Dog Laurel, Leucothoe Editorum, Leucothoe Fontanesiana, Switch-ivy, Leucothoe Racemosa, Sweet Bells
Genus Leucothoe Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Leucothoe Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Leucothoe
Literary usage of Genus Leucothoe
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Shrubs of Northeastern America by Charles Stedman Newhall (1893)
"CONIFERS; (Pine Fam.) Genus Vaccinium (Blueberry, etc.). Genus Andromeda. genus Leucothoe. Genus Cassandra. Genus Kalmia (Laurels, etc.). Genus Menziesia. ..."
2. Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall by Royal Institution of Cornwall (1875)
"... and from Banff, where they were procured by Mr. Edward, the Scottish naturalist. GENUS, LEUCOTHOE.—Leach. Antenna) simple, subequal. Hands unequal. ..."
3. A Cornish Fauna: Being a Compendium of the Natural History of the County by RICHARD QUILLER. COUCH, Jonathan Couch (1878)
"GENUS, LEUCOTHOE.—Leach. Antennae simple, subequal. Hands unequal. Second larger than the first, formed by the carpus or wrist being produced to reach ..."
4. A Monograph of the British Eocene Flora by John Starkie Gardner, Constantin Baron Ettingshausen (1882)
"1 Saporta has pointed out that the venation is not very dissimilar to that of the dicotyledonous genus Andromeda, sub-genus Leucothoe. ..."
5. The Rhododendron and "American Plants": A Treatise on the Culture by Edward Sprague Rand (1871)
"The very beautiful Andromeda floribunda has been described under the genus Leucothoe. THE DAPHNE. Of this extensive genus, to which the well-known ..."