Definition of Genus Nopalea
1. Noun. A genus of the cactus family with scarlet flowers.
Generic synonyms: Dicot Genus, Magnoliopsid Genus
Group relationships: Cactaceae, Cactus Family, Family Cactaceae
Member holonyms: Nopal
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Nopalea
Literary usage of Genus Nopalea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Contribution to Our Knowledge of Seedlings by John Lubbock (1892)
"The genus Nopalea is closely allied to Opuntia, and N. dejecta resembles Opuntia basilaris in its hypocotyl, which is cylindrical and ..."
2. The Student, and Intellectual Observer (1871)
"... a cochineal-bearing species—is largely cultivated for this purpose, it is, however, now separated from Opuntia, and placed in the small genus Nopalea. ..."
3. Cactaceœ of Northeastern and Central Mexico Together with a Synopsis of the by William Edwin Safford (1909)
"These features serve to distinguish the Opuntia from the closely allied genus Nopalea. The fruit (" tuna ") of many species and varieties of Opuntia (pi. ..."
4. Notes on Some Upper Cretaceous Volutidae, with Descriptions of New Species by William Healey Dall (1908)
"The genus Nopalea, although closely resembling Opuntia in habit, has very different flowers and seems to be distinct. Five species are generally recognized, ..."