Definition of Genus Placuna
1. Noun. Windowpane oysters.
Generic synonyms: Mollusk Genus
Group relationships: Bivalvia, Class Bivalvia, Class Lamellibranchia, Class Pelecypoda, Lamellibranchia
Member holonyms: Capiz, Placuna Placenta, Window Oyster, Windowpane Oyster
Genus Placuna Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Placuna Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Placuna
Literary usage of Genus Placuna
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Genera of Recent Mollusca: Arranged According to Their Organization by Henry Adams, Arthur Adams (1858)
"... which are occasionally permeated by very minute tubuli. The single species described is from the coasts of India and China. Genus PLACUNA, Solander. ..."
2. A Dictionary of the Fossils of Pennsylvania and Neighboring States Named in by J. Peter Lesley, Pennsylvania Board of Commissioners for the Second Geological Survey (1889)
"... named by Morris and Lycett in 1853, among the fossils of the English Great Oolite, because of its resemblance (opsis) to the genus Placuna. ..."
3. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Edward Griffith, Charles Hamilton Smith, Edward Pidgeon, John Edward Gray, George Robert Gray (1834)
"The semi-transparence presented by the valves of the genus placuna is the reason why the inhabitants of China and the Philippine Islands employ them to ..."
4. A Manual of Palæontology for the Use of Students with a General Introduction by Henry Alleyne Nicholson (1879)
"The genus Placuna, dating from the Tertiary (?); comprises flattened and cake-like Oysters, allied in many respects to Anomia, but having the shell ..."