Definition of Genus Platanthera
1. Noun. Herbaceous terrestrial orchids of temperate northern and southern hemispheres.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Habenaria Bifolia, Lesser Butterfly Orchid, Platanthera Bifolia, Greater Butterfly Orchid, Habenaria Chlorantha, Platanthera Chlorantha
Genus Platanthera Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Platanthera Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Platanthera
Literary usage of Genus Platanthera
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Orchids of New England: A Popular Monograph by Henry Ives Baldwin (1884)
"... come the False Orchises, belonging to the sub-genus Platanthera, and these, says Gray, have their anther-cells " more separated and divergent," so that ..."
2. The New American Cyclopaedia: A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge edited by George Ripley, Charles Anderson Dana (1864)
"The genus platanthera of Richard is founded upon the 2 naked glands being widely separated and the anther cells diverging below. ..."
3. Journal of Botany, British and Foreign (1869)
"Lindley, in his monograph of the family, placed this in the genus Platanthera,^ no doubt on account of its supposed relationship to P. Susanna, ..."
4. Journal of Horticulture, Cottage Gardener and Home Farmer (1883)
"Several of the genus Platanthera are also valuable, requiring but little attention. All the above must have a nicely prepared bed of peat to grow in, ..."