Definition of Genus Platanus
1. Noun. Genus of large monoecious mostly deciduous trees: London plane; sycamore.
Generic synonyms: Rosid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Family Platanaceae, Plane-tree Family, Platanaceae
Member holonyms: Plane Tree, Platan, Sycamore, London Plane, Platanus Acerifolia, American Plane, American Sycamore, Buttonwood, Platanus Occidentalis, Oriental Plane, Platanus Orientalis, California Sycamore, Platanus Racemosa, Arizona Sycamore, Platanus Wrightii
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Platanus
Literary usage of Genus Platanus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Glimpses of the Cosmos by Lester Frank Ward (1915)
"The Paleontologic History of the genus Platanus History.—Written Nov. 24, to Dec. 13, 1887. The title originally given to the article was The Pedigree of ..."
2. Proceedings of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (1889)
"By Prof. LESTER F. WARD, US Geological Survey, Washington, DC [ABSTRACT. | THE genus Platanus is one of those waning types, like Ginkgo, Sequoia, ..."
3. Summarized Proceedings ... and a Directory of Members by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1889)
"THE genus Platanus is one of those waning types, like Ginkgo, Sequoia, Liriodendron, etc., of which so much has been said of late, and though now ..."
4. The Tree Book: A Popular Guide to a Knowledge of the Trees of North America by Julia Ellen Rogers (1905)
"(P. orientalis) ORIENTAL PLANE There are six species of the genus Platanus found in the Northern Hemisphere, and equally divided between the Old and New ..."
5. Annual Report of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the by Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories (U.S.), United States General Land Office, United States Dept. of the Interior (1876)
"... removed by the presence in our lignitic Eocene of some very beautiful and well characterized species of tbis genus: Platanus Haydenii ami P. ..."