Definition of Genus Puffinus
1. Noun. Shearwaters.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Procellariidae, Procellariidae
Member holonyms: Shearwater
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Puffinus
Literary usage of Genus Puffinus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1917)
"THE genus Puffinus Brisson, as currently recognized, has recently been separated by Messrs. Mathews and Iredale into a number of generic groups.1 The ..."
2. Handbook of Birds of the Western United States: Including the Great Plains by Florence Merriam Bailey (1921)
"... being revived as a genus, Puffinus creatopus Coues and Cassin. ... being recognized as a genus, Puffinus bulleri Salvin finus griseus chilensis ..."
3. A Hand-book to the Birds of Great Britain by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1897)
"Eight genera of Shearwaters are recognised, the genus Puffinus being found nearly everywhere ... genus Puffinus. Puffinus, Briss. Orn. vi. p. 131 (1760). ..."
4. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1864)
"The genus Puffinus, as characterized in the above paragraph, comprises numerous bicolor species, spread all over the world. They form two groups. ..."
5. The Birds of Eastern North America Known to Occur East of the Nineteenth by Charles Barney Cory, Field Museum of Natural History (1899)
"... genus Puffinus. BRISSON. 59 (88) PUFFINUS BOREALIS. CORY. Cory's Shearwater. Known to occur only on coast of Massachusetts and Long Island ; wint«r and ..."
6. An introduction to the Birds of Australia by John Gould (1848)
"Genus PUFFINUS. The members of this genus inhabit the seas of both the northern and southern hemisphere, but are nowhere more abundant than round Australia, ..."