Definition of Genus Scomberomorus
1. Noun. Spanish mackerels.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Scombridae, Scombridae
Member holonyms: Spanish Mackerel, Cavalla, Cero, King Mackerel, Scomberomorus Cavalla, Scomberomorus Maculatus, Cero, Kingfish, Pintado, Scomberomorus Regalis
Genus Scomberomorus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Scomberomorus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Scomberomorus
Literary usage of Genus Scomberomorus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1885)
"In the present paper we have given the synonymy of the four American species of the genus Scomberomorus Lacepede (= Cy- bium Cuvier), and an analytical key, ..."
2. American Fishes: A Popular Treatise Upon the Game and Food Fishes of North by George Brown Goode, Theodore Gill (1903)
"It is a member of the Mackerel family and of the genus Scomberomorus, established in 1802 by Lacépède, and subsequently re-named by Cuvier, Cybium. ..."
3. A Guide to the Study of Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1905)
"Both are blue, with undulating black stripes along the side of the back. The genus Scomberomorus includes mackerels slenderer in form, with larger teeth, ..."
4. Reports of the North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey (1907)
"... probably includes 1 or 2 other species besides Sarda sarda. The price received by the fishermen is only 1 or 1.5 cents a pound. Genus SCOMBEROMORUS ..."
5. Fishes of Australia: A Popular and Systematic Guide to the Study of the by David George Stead (1906)
"... genus Scomberomorus. We have two kinds on the coast of New South Wales, both of which attain to very large proportions and are very widely distributed. ..."