Definition of Genus accipiter
1. Noun. Type genus of the family Accipitridae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Accipitridae, Family Accipitridae
Member holonyms: Accipiter Gentilis, Goshawk, Accipiter Nisus, Sparrow Hawk, Accipiter Cooperii, Blue Darter, Cooper's Hawk
Genus Accipiter Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Accipiter Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Accipiter
Literary usage of Genus accipiter
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An introduction to the Birds of Australia by John Gould (1848)
"... and western portions of the continent. I have lately seen specimens from Port Essington. Genus ACCIPITER. 19. Accipiter torquatus Vol. I. PI. 19. ..."
2. Birds by Eugene William Oates, William Thomas Blanford (1895)
"Genus ACCIPITER, Brisson, 1760. This genus, to which the true Sparrow-Hawks ... The genus Accipiter is almost cosmopolitan and comprises about 25 species, ..."
3. Diseases and Enemies of Poultry by Leonard Pearson, Benjamin Harry Warren (1897)
"Birds of the genus Accipiter are rather long and slender in form, and they have small heads, short wings, long tails and legs. ..."
4. The Birds of Eastern North America Known to Occur East of the Nineteenth by Charles Barney Cory, Field Museum of Natural History (1899)
"North and Central America; breeding throughout its range; one of the most common species in eastern United States; frequenting marshes. genus accipiter. ..."
5. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1910)
"... Colorado, Iowa, the Ohio Valley, and New York (occasionally Massachusetts) south to the Bahamas, Cuba, and Colombia. genus accipiter BRISSON. ..."