Definition of Genus clupea
1. Noun. Type genus of the Clupeidae: typical herrings.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Clupeidae, Family Clupeidae
Member holonyms: Clupea Harangus, Herring, Atlantic Herring, Clupea Harengus Harengus, Clupea Harengus Pallasii, Pacific Herring, Brisling, Clupea Sprattus, Sprat
Genus Clupea Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Clupea Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Clupea
Literary usage of Genus clupea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Dictionary of Science, Literature, & Art: Comprising the Definitions and by William Thomas Brande, George William Cox (1866)
"The genus Clupea is so nearly allied to the genus Salmo that they are both included in the same natural family, under tho name of Halt- ..."
2. Chambers's Encyclopædia: A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge for the People by Chambers, W. and R., publ (1876)
"The genus Clupea is distinguished from others of the same family chiefly by the fins and by the teeth, which arc small and numerous, and are situated not ..."
3. The Fisheries Exhibition Literature. by William Clowes and Sons (1884)
"GENUS Clupea.—" Body compressed, with the abdominal serrature extending forwards into the thoracic region. Scales of moderate or large, rarely of small size ..."
4. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1871)
"The genus Clupea ranges from the Upper Eocene upward, being abundant in the slates of Lebanon and Monte Bolca, while Cypri- ..."