Definition of Genus pleione
1. Noun. Small genus of dwarf orchids; India to Thailand and Taiwan.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Indian Crocus
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Pleione
Literary usage of Genus pleione
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture: A Discussion for the Amateur, and by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1916)
"Intro, into English botanic gardens and said to be a very ornamental species with probably the largest fls. of the genus. PLEIONE (from Greek mythology: ..."
2. On the Power, Wisdom and Goodness of God as Manifested in the Creation of by William Kirby (1835)
"... genus Pleione, and is probably his P. pedunculata, and the Nereis gigantea of Linne. The bristles in these legs seem not ..."
3. Torreya by Torrey Botanical Club (1919)
"... but the genus Pleione, to judge from the descriptions, must certainly possess anthocyanin. In the case of Coelogyne sparsa Reichb. f., Ames* quotes a ..."
4. Die natürlichen Pflanzenfamilien nebst ihren Gattungen und wichtigeren Arten by Adolf Engler, Robert Knuds Friedrich Pilger, Kurt Krause, Karl Anton Eugen Prantl (1908)
"Jahrb. XXXI. (1800) S. 134. — KM Wiegend, Revision of the genus Listera Bull. Torr. Bot, Club XXVI. (1899) S. 157 T. 356, 357. — RA Rolfe, The genus Pleione ..."