Definition of Genus scorpaena
1. Noun. Type genus of the Scorpaenidae: scorpionfishes.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Scorpaenidae, Scorpaenidae
Member holonyms: Scorpion Fish, Scorpionfish, Sea Scorpion, Plumed Scorpionfish, Scorpaena Grandicornis
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Scorpaena
Literary usage of Genus scorpaena
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Critical Review, Or, Annals of Literature by Tobias George Smollett (1804)
"... described by Dr. Shaw, in White's Journal of a Voyage to New South Wales. The disgusting genus scorpaena has, in addition jo the Linnaean species, ..."
2. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Edward Griffith, Charles Hamilton Smith, Edward Pidgeon, John Edward Gray, George Robert Gray (1834)
"In the genus scorpaena, which, from its unsightly appearance and fancied dangerous qualities, has received the names of scorpion, toad, sea-devil, &c., ..."
3. Reports of Explorations and Surveys, to Ascertain the Most Practicable and by Joseph Henry, Spencer Fullerton Baird, United States War Dept, United States Army. Corps of Engineers (1855)
"... and, the genus Scorpaena, in addition to spines, exhibits membranous or cutaneous flaps or appendages, which give to it a very unprepossessing ..."
4. Classified Catalogue of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh by Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh (1904)
"... On a new species of moa; Description of a remarkable fish from Mauritius belonging to the genus scorpaena; On the occurrence of a rare fish (lophotes ..."
5. Classified Catalogue of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, 1895- 1902 by Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh (1907)
"... remarkable fish from Mauritius belonging to the genus scorpaena; On the occurrence of a rare fish (lophotes ..."