Definition of Kaunda
1. Noun. Statesman who led Northern Rhodesia to full independence as Zambia in 1964 and served as Zambia's first president (1924-1999).
Generic synonyms: National Leader, Solon, Statesman
Lexicographical Neighbors of Kaunda
Literary usage of Kaunda
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Human Rights Watch World Report 1999 by Human Rights Watch Staff (1998)
"kaunda's release followed a deal struck between thegovernment and his family in which kaunda was to agree to retire from politics. On July 3, kaunda told a ..."
2. More Than a Name: State-Sponsored Homophobia and Its Consequences in by Scott Long, A. Widney Brown, Gail Cooper (2003)
"Former president Kenneth kaunda initially urged Zambians to "cool down and think ... 97 kaunda soon retracted his sympathy, explaining that "They are sick, ..."
3. Catalogue of Sanskrit and Pali Books in the British Museum by Ernst Anton Max Haas, Cecil Bendall, Lionel David Barnett, British Museum Department of Oriental Printed Books and Manuscripts (1908)
"kaunda Bhatta : also ... Categories,] by the same author [seil., kaunda Bhatta] etc. 1900. 8°. 14048. cc. 34. ... of kaunda Bhatta, an abridgment of his ..."
4. Human Rights Watch World Report 1997 by Human Rights Watch (Organization), Human Rights Watch Staff (1996)
"UNIP leader Kenneth kaunda neither condemned the violence nor appealed to his supporters to refrain from violence during the by-elections. ..."
5. The Democratisation Process in Zanzibar: A Retarded Transition by Mohammed Ali Bakari (2001)
"23 kaunda was born in 1924 in Northern Rhodesia, by which time his father ... Refer John Hatch (1976) Two African Statesmen: kaunda of Zambia and Nyerere of ..."
6. Human Rights Watch World Report 1998 by Human Rights Watch Staff (1997)
"On August 23 UNIP leader kaunda and Opposition Alliance chairman Roger Chongwe were ... Bullets grazed the head of former president kaunda, and struck Roger ..."
7. Human Rights Watch World Report 1992 by Human Rights Watch (Organization (1991)
"kaunda gave his successor a tour of the State House, handed over the ... However, few rulers yielded to the pressure for change with the grace of kaunda. ..."
8. Capital (1888)
"President kaunda was expressing the sentiments of many of his neighbours when he bitterly criticised Mr. Wilson for supporting the Smith regime in the years ..."