Definition of President arthur
1. Noun. Elected vice president and became 21st President of the United States when Garfield was assassinated (1830-1886).
Generic synonyms: Chief Executive, President, President Of The United States, United States President
President Arthur Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: President Arthur Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of President Arthur
Literary usage of President arthur
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Perley's Reminiscences of Sixty Years in the National Metropolis by Benjamin Perley Poore (1886)
"THE DEPLORABLE CALAMITY — MENTAL ANGUISH OF VICE-president arthur—HE TAKES THE ... WHEN President Garfield was assassinated Vice-president arthur was on his ..."
2. The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography: Being the History of the by James Terry White (1895)
"The administration of president arthur, while not marked by any occurrence of grave importance, was characterized by dignified conduct on ..."
3. The Bookman (1905)
"At the time when Mr. Cleveland was inaugurated there had been no Demo- PRESIDENT ARTHUR. back upon his brave and honourable bearing under the strain of ..."
4. American Politics (non-partisan) from the Beginning to Date: Embodying a by Thomas Valentine Cooper (1892)
"Vice-president arthur, during the long illness of the President, ... It bus thus far been the effort of president arthur to allay whatever of factious ..."
5. Miscellaneous Addresses by Elihu Root (1917)
"CHESTER ALAN ARTHUR ADDRESS AT THE UNVEILING OF A STATUE OF president arthur IN MADISON SQUARE, NEW YORK, JUNE 13, 1899 rI iHE committee of which Mr. ..."
6. Men and Measures of Half a Century: Sketches and Comments by Hugh McCulloch (1888)
"Second Appointment as Secretary of the Treasury—Treasury Officers and Clerks—President Arthur more Fortunate than any of his Predecessors who Succeeded to ..."