Definition of Rissa
1. Noun. A genus of Laridae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Laridae, Laridae
Member holonyms: Kittiwake
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rissa
Literary usage of Rissa
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Birds of North and Middle America: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Higher by Robert Ridgway (1919)
"Rosso-Asiat., ii, 1826, 329 (Baltic and White Seas). rissa ... Ro3«>-Asiat., ii, 1826, 321 (Kamchatka). [rissa} rissa SHARPE, Hand-list, i, 1899, 143, part. ..."
2. A history of British birds, indigenous and migratory by William Macgillivray (1852)
"rissa TRIDACTYLA. THE BLACK-FOOTED KITTIWAKE. KITTIWAKE. ANNET. ... rissa tridactyla. Bonap. Comp. List, 62. Bill shortish, rather stout. about an inch and ..."
3. A Hand-book to the Birds of Great Britain by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1897)
"rissa TRIDACTYLA. Larus tridactylus, Linn. Syst. Nat. ip 224(1766); Seebohm, Hist. Brit. B. iii. p. 340 (1885). ..."
4. History of the Life, Writings, & Doctrines of Luther by M. Audin, Jean Marie Vincent Audin (1854)
"His reply.—His theory on the right of resistance.—His letters to the abbess of rissa.—The Anabaptists rebel, and have recourse to arms. ..."