Definition of Sporting man
1. Noun. Someone who leads a merry existence; especially a gambler on the outcome of sporting events.
2. Noun. Someone who enjoys outdoor activities.
Sporting Man Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sporting Man Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sporting Man
Literary usage of Sporting man
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. My Diary North and South by William Howard Russell (1863)
"Visit to Mr. M'Call's plantation—Irish and Spaniards—The planter— A Southern sporting man—The Creoles—Leave Houmas—Donald- ..."
2. The Burial of the Dead: A Pastor's Complete Hand-book for Funeral Services by George Duffield, Samuel Willoughby Duffield (1883)
"A '' sporting man.'' Job ix. 25. " My days are swifter than a post." Rev. vi. 8. " And I looked, and behold a pale horse : and his name that sat on him was ..."
3. The Theory of the Leisure Class: An Economic Study of Institutions by Thorstein Veblen (1912)
"The sporting man's sense of luck and chance, or of fortuitous necessity, is an inarticulate or inchoate animism. It applies to objects and situations, ..."