Definition of City of Westminster
1. Noun. A borough of Greater London on the Thames; contains Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey.
Generic synonyms: Borough
Group relationships: British Capital, Capital Of The United Kingdom, Greater London, London
Terms within: Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, Houses Of Parliament, Westminster Abbey
City Of Westminster Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: City Of Westminster Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of City Of Westminster
Literary usage of City of Westminster
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Dictionary of National Biography by LESLIE. STEPHEN (1895)
"After more than one attempt to obtain a seat in the British House of Commons, he was elected for the city of Westminster in December 1741. ..."
2. Allegations for Marriage Licences Issued by the Dean and Chapter of by Joseph Lemuel Chester, George John Armytage (1886)
"April 21 John Moyses & Sibilla Parkins, of City of Westminster, Spinster. ... May 27 James Spooner & Elenor Catherton, of City of Westminster, Spinster. ..."
3. Notes and Queries by Martim de Albuquerque (1858)
"15,. — Mary Queen of Scots to the Cardinal of Loraine and the Duke of Guise, 1559, 111. los. — A Conveyance from John Milton of the City of Westminster of a ..."
4. Westminster by Walter Besant (1895)
"They happen to "stand in the City of Westminster ; but their history does not form part of the City history. The House of Commons has been called to ..."
5. Hansard's Parliamentary Debatesby Great Britain Parliament, Thomas Curson Hansard by Great Britain Parliament, Thomas Curson Hansard (1880)
"Motion made, and Question proposed, " That the publication of printed placards throughout the City of Westminster, representing the part taken by Sir ..."