Definition of Meuse River
1. Noun. A European river; flows into the North Sea.
Group relationships: Belgique, Belgium, Kingdom Of Belgium, France, French Republic, Holland, Kingdom Of The Netherlands, Nederland, Netherlands, The Netherlands
Generic synonyms: River
2. Noun. An American operation in World War I (1918); American troops under Pershing drove back the German armies which were saved only by the armistice on November 11.
Generic synonyms: Military Operation, Operation
Terms within: Battle Of St Mihiel, Saint-mihiel, St Mihiel
Group relationships: First World War, Great War, War To End War, World War 1, World War I
Geographical relationships: France, French Republic
Lexicographical Neighbors of Meuse River
Literary usage of Meuse River
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Battlefields of the World War, Western and Southern Fronts: A Study in by Douglas Wilson Johnson (1921)
"... MEUSE PLATEAU The Meuse River The Meuse River itself is an obstacle of no mean proportions under certain circumstances. Its meandering course and ..."
2. History of the 89th Division, U. S. A.: From Its Organization in 1917 by George H. English, War Society of the 89th Division (1920)
"For several days following the régimen! remained at work on roads and bridges, sending out reconnoitering parties to the MEUSE River, ..."
3. Fighting the Flying Circus by Eddie Rickenbacker (1919)
"I followed down its course for a few miles, then turned again to the north and tried to find the Meuse River. After ten minutes' flight into Germany, ..."
4. The New York Times Current HistoryWorld War, 1914-1918 (1920)
"It will be seen, for example, that the distance between No Man's Land and the third German withdrawal position in the vicinity of the Meuse River was ..."
5. ... The History of the 33rd Division, A.E.F., by Frederick Louis Huidekoper by Frederic Louis Huidekoper (1921)
"... laid 2000 feet of cable (one pair lead covered, French) across the almost impassable swamp west of the Meuse River and across the Meuse River itself. ..."
6. A History of the 90th Divisionby George Wythe by George Wythe (1920)
"Several boats and rafts were constructed by the 315th Engineers and men of the Brigade. Bridge over the Meuse River, showing damage left by the Germans in ..."