Definition of Communications protocol
1. Noun. (computer science) rules determining the format and transmission of data.
Category relationships: Computer Science, Computing
Generic synonyms: Prescript, Rule
Specialized synonyms: File Transfer Protocol, Ftp, Http, Hypertext Transfer Protocol, Midi, Musical Instrument Digital Interface, Tcp, Transmission Control Protocol, Tcp/ip, Transmission Control Protocol/internet Protocol
Communications Protocol Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Communications Protocol Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Communications Protocol
Literary usage of Communications protocol
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Aviation Safety: Congressional Hearing edited by Slade Gorton (2000)
"In the near term, the FAA plans to continue using the required and proven CD communications protocol as the prime means of transmitting radar data to the ..."
2. Trusted Network Interpretation of the Trusted Computer System Evaluation (1994)
"Any communications availability service should consider using existing communications protocol mechanisms where feasible so as not to increase network ..."
3. Review of the Space Communications Program of NASA's Space Operations by National Research Council (U.S.), United States (2007)
"In calendar year 2005, the CCSDS surveyed the dollar value of the US space communications protocol marketplace and concluded that the value exceeded $24 ..."
4. Internet Costs & Cost Models for Public Libraries: Final Report by Charles R. McClure (1996)
"Internet providers have been charging marginally higher costs for required TCP/IP (the type of communications protocol used to support multimedia service) ..."