Definition of Genus Balaena
1. Noun. Type genus of the Balaenidae: Greenland whales.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Balaenidae, Family Balaenidae
Member holonyms: Balaena Mysticetus, Bowhead, Bowhead Whale, Greenland Whale
Genus Balaena Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Balaena Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Balaena
Literary usage of Genus Balaena
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1868)
"The points in which this species differs from those of the genus Balaena ... The dorsal serration is not known to occur in any species of the genus Balaena, ..."
2. Report of the Geological Survey of North Carolina: Vol. I. Physical by North Carolina State Geologist (1875)
"The bulla has the flat inferior face of the genus Balaena, and the periotic processes are exceedingly short, shorter even than those of the species of ..."
3. The Cambridge Natural History by Sidney Frederick Harmer, Arthur Everett Shipley (1902)
"... which can with certainty be identified and distinguished, both of which are so close that they cannot possibly be placed but in the same genus, Balaena. ..."
4. The Encyclopædia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"The typical members of this family are the so.-called right-whales, forming the genus Balaena, in which there arc no folds on ..."
5. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: “a” Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature edited by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"The typical members of this family are the eo_-called right-whales, forming the genus Balaena, in which there are no folds on the throat and chest, ..."