Definition of Genus Babesia
1. Noun. Type genus of the family Babesiidae.
Generic synonyms: Protoctist Genus
Group relationships: Babesiidae, Family Babesiidae
Genus Babesia Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Babesia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Babesia
Literary usage of Genus Babesia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Medical and Veterinary Entomology: A Textbook for Use in Schools and by William Brodbeck Herms (1915)
"The genus Babesia comprises pear-shaped (varying somewhat to oval), red blood-cell inhabiting parasites (Fig. 191). Unlike the Plasmodia there is little or ..."
2. Elementary Textbook of Economic Zoology and Entomology by Vernon Lyman Kellogg, Rennie Wilbur Doane (1915)
"It is transmitted by ticks, Dermacentor ven- ustus, and is supposed by many to be due to an organism closely related to, or belonging to the genus Babesia. ..."
3. Protozoölogy by Gary Nathan Calkins (1909)
"A. The genus Babesia.—Smith and Kilborne ('93) found peculiar minute parasites in the red blood corpuscles of cattle sick Trypanosoma and Leishman-Donovan ..."
4. A Text-book Upon the Pathogenic Bacteria and Protozoa for Students of by Joseph McFarland (1915)
"... where it continues free for some distance. Nutrition parasitic. Reproduces by division. Genus Trypanosoma. Genus Leishmania. genus Babesia. ..."