Definition of Genus Balanus
1. Noun. Type genus of the family Balanidae.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Balanidae, Family Balanidae
Member holonyms: Acorn Barnacle, Balanus Balanoides, Rock Barnacle
Genus Balanus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Balanus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Balanus
Literary usage of Genus Balanus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Monograph on the Sub-class Cirripedia: With Figures of All the Species by Charles ( Darwin (1854)
"Genus—BALANUS. Fig. 1 a, Balanus Ajax ; 1 6, scutum external ; 1 c, tergum external ; and 1 d, scutum, internal view. 2 a, 26, Balanus stultus, ..."
2. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1902)
"... genus Balanus, and the cavity, now filled with gravel and fragments of the shell, in which the soft parts of the animal had originally been enclosed. ..."
3. The Fauna and Geography of the Maldive and Laccadive Archipelagoes: Being by John Stanley Gardiner (1903)
"genus Balanus Da Costa, 1778. 6. Balanus tintinnabulum (Linn.), 1758. Darwin, np 194. The specimens, which were taken in various localities, are all small ..."
4. The New International Encyclopædia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1902)
"... occurs in the lower Devonian rocks, and the genus Balanus itself has been found in the Mesozoic and Tertiary deposits. The Cirripedia afford the largest ..."
5. Bermuda: Its History, Geology, Climate, Products, Agriculture, Commerce, and by Theodore L. Godet (1860)
"... —Genus balanus (or Acorn Shells)— Balanus tintinnabulum. CRUSTACEA (or Crabs.)—The Crustacea are generally carnivorous, feeding on dead or decomposed ..."