Definition of Genus Portunus
1. Noun. Type genus of the family Portunidae.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Family Portunidae, Portunidae
Member holonyms: English Lady Crab, Portunus Puber
Genus Portunus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Portunus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Portunus
Literary usage of Genus Portunus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1900)
"Second to sixth antero-lateral teeth equilateral C. dance Smith SG genus Portunus Fabricius. Key to Species. A. Carapace wide ; antero-lateral margin the ..."
2. Descriptive Catalogue of the Fossil Organic Remains of Invertebrata by Museum, Royal College of Surgeons of England (1856)
"genus Portunus, Fabr. 1552. A specimen near to Portunus leucodon, Desm., with the carapace, part of the chelae, abdomen, &c. From the tertiary strata; ..."
3. A History of the British Stalk-eyed Crustacea by Thomas Bell (1853)
"genus Portunus, LEACH. CANCER, Linn. Penn. Herbst. PORTUNUS, Fabr. I^atr. Leach, Edwards. Generic Character. — External antenna placed in the inner canthus ..."
4. The Entomologist's Monthly Magazine by Nathaniel Lloyd and Company (1898)
"Mr. Step, specimens of eight species of swimming crab, chiefly of the genus Portunus, and made remarks on their habits, relationships, and occurrence ..."