Definition of Genus Poronotus
1. Noun. A genus of Stromateidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Stromateidae, Stromateidae
Member holonyms: Dollarfish, Poronotus Triacanthus
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Poronotus
Literary usage of Genus Poronotus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Geology of New Jersey by New Jersey Geological Survey, George Hammell Cook (1868)
"Rudder Fish. This is a rare species, said to be met with occasionally in our waters. Genus PORONOTUS. ..."
2. Reports of the North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey (1907)
"The young are often found beneath the "Portuguese man-of-war" and-other large medusae. Genus PORONOTUS Gill. Butter-fishes. ..."
3. American Food and Game Fishes: A Popular Account of All the Species Found in by David Starr Jordan, Barton Warren Evermann (1902)
"genus Poronotus GILL This genus differs from "Palometa only in the presence of a series of conspicuous, wide-set pores above the lateral line. ..."
4. The Fishes of North Carolina by Hugh McCormick Smith (1907)
"Genus PORONOTUS Gili. Butter-fishes. Similar to Peprilus, but with depth of body much less, the dorsal and anal fins less elongated, ..."