Definition of Genus Pyrophorus
1. Noun. Tropical click beetles.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Elateridae, Family Elateridae
Member holonyms: Fire Beetle, Firefly, Pyrophorus Noctiluca
Genus Pyrophorus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Pyrophorus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Pyrophorus
Literary usage of Genus Pyrophorus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The New International Encyclopædia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1903)
"These give forth at will a steady light, and are all tropical American beetles of the genus Pyrophorus. There are about 100 species of this genus, ..."
2. The Cambridge Natural History by Arthur Everett Shipley, Sidney Frederic Harmer (1899)
"The genus Pyrophorus includes some of the most remarkable of light-giving Insects. There are upwards of 100 species, exhibiting much diversity as to the ..."
3. An Introduction to Entomology: Or, Elements of the Natural History of by William Kirby, William Spence (1843)
"... is similar to that of L. noctiluca above described ; and it is probable that a similar organisation exists in the genus Pyrophorus. ..."
4. Guide to the Study of Insects, and a Treatise on Those Injurious and by Alpheus Spring Packard (1870)
"To the genus Pyrophorus belong the different species of Fireflies of Central and South America. ..."