Definition of Genus barbarea
1. Noun. Biennial or perennial herbs of north temperate regions: winter cress.
Generic synonyms: Dilleniid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Brassicaceae, Cruciferae, Family Brassicaceae, Family Cruciferae, Mustard Family
Member holonyms: Scurvy Grass, St. Barbara's Herb, Winter Cress
Terms within: American Cress, American Watercress, Barbarea Praecox, Barbarea Verna, Belle Isle Cress, Early Winter Cress, Land Cress, Barbarea Vulgaris, Rockcress, Rocket Cress, Sisymbrium Barbarea, Yellow Rocket
Genus Barbarea Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Barbarea Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Barbarea
Literary usage of Genus barbarea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The New International Encyclopædia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1902)
"The name winter cress is given to species of the genus Barbarea, also cruciferous biennial or perennial plants. ..."
2. Winston's Cumulative Loose-leaf Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Reference Workedited by Thomas Edward Finegan edited by Thomas Edward Finegan (1922)
"... the common name of of the genus Barbarea. Barbarea vul- winter cress, two cruciferous plants ..."
3. The International Cyclopedia: A Compendium of Human Knowledge, Rev. with by Selim Hobart Peabody, Charles Francis Richardson (1898)
"The name WINTER C. is given to species of the genus Barbarea, also cruciferous biennial or perennial plants, with racemes of yellow flowers, ..."
4. Magazine of Natural History edited by John Claudius Loudon, Edward Charlesworth, John Denson (1838)
"Thus, in the cruciferous genus Barbarea, it is readily seen that it possesses the peculiarities contained in the second line of the first division; which, ..."