Definition of Gleditsia aquatica
1. Noun. Honey locust of swamps and bottomlands of southern United States having short oval pods; yields dark heavy wood.
Generic synonyms: Locust, Locust Tree
Group relationships: Genus Gleditsia, Gleditsia
Gleditsia Aquatica Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gleditsia Aquatica Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gleditsia Aquatica
Literary usage of Gleditsia aquatica
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States: Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1897)
"gleditsia aquatica Marsh. Arb. Am. 54. 1785. Gleditsia monosperma Walt. Fl. Car. 254. 1788. A tree, with maximum height of about 60°, and trunk diameter of ..."
2. Check List of the Forest Trees of the United States: Their Names and Ranges by George Bishop Sudworth (1898)
"... Locust gleditsia aquatica Marsh. Water Locust. GLEDITSIA MONOSPERMA Walt. RANGE.—Coast region, from South Carolina to Florida (Matanzas Inlet and Tampa ..."
3. The Plant World by Plant World Association, Wild Flower Preservation Society (U.S.) (1918)
"One, Gleditsia, texana Sargent, is confined to the Brazos River valley in Texas; a second, the water locust gleditsia aquatica Marsh, is found in our ..."
4. Arbustrum Americanum: The American Grove, Or, An Alphabetical Catalogue of by Humphry Marshall (1785)
"GLEDITSIA aquatica. Water Acacia. This fort grows naturally in Carolina, and hath much the appearance of the ..."
5. Proceedings of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the Annual Meeting by American Pharmaceutical Association, National Pharmaceutical Convention, American Pharmaceutical Association Meeting (1898)
"Britton. M. angustata (T. & Gr . ) Britton. (Leguminosa in part.) Cassia Tora L., 1753. gleditsia aquatica Marsh, 1785. Gymnocladus dioica (L.) Koch. ..."