Definition of Liberia
1. Noun. A republic in West Africa; established in 1822 by Americans as a way to free negro slaves.
Generic synonyms: African Country, African Nation
Terms within: Capital Of Liberia, Liberian Capital, Monrovia
Group relationships: Africa
Member holonyms: Liberian
Derivative terms: Liberian
Definition of Liberia
1. Proper noun. A country in Western Africa. Official name: Republic of Liberia. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Liberia
1. A republic in western africa, south of guinea and east of cote d'ivoire. Its capital is monrovia, named for the u.s. President james monroe. Liberia was projected as a settlement of freed american slaves by the american colonization society in 1817 and hence named from the latin liber, free. In 1847 it was established as the free and independent republic of liberia. Liberia is the only black african state never to have been subjected to colonial rule. (12 Dec 1998)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Liberia
Literary usage of Liberia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin of the New York Public Library by New York Public Library (1902)
"MAPS OF liberia. Map of liberia. Compiled, from data on file in the office of the ... liberia. W. Coast of Africa. Surveyed by the officers of the USS ..."
2. Merchants' Magazine and Commercial Review by William B. Dana (1858)
"Letters addressed to liberia may be registered, provided the postage, ... Newspapers addressed to liberia, and posted in conformity with the usual ..."
3. The Map of Africa by Treaty by Edward Hertslet, Great Britain (1894)
"Page 778 liberia and United States. Relations 778 liberia and Cape Palmas, &c. ... 783 France and liberia. Delimitation between their respective Territories ..."
4. The Foundations of American Foreign Policy: With a Working Bibliography by Albert Bushnell Hart (1901)
"Like many other small nations, liberia soon found herself involved in a quarrel with Great Britain. Had the settlement been one of white men, ..."
5. The American Journal of International Law by American Society of International Law (1910)
"The interest of the United States in the Republic of liberia as evidenced by ... American Minister to liberia, from MSS. Records of State Department. ..."