Definition of Lopholatilus
1. Noun. Large brightly colored food fish of deep Atlantic waters.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Malacanthidae, Malacanthidae
Member holonyms: Lopholatilus Chamaeleonticeps, Tilefish
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lopholatilus
Literary usage of Lopholatilus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1900)
"This name alludes to its tile-like coloration, being also an available syllable of Lopholatilus, its scientific name. In 1882 vast numbers of tilefish were ..."
2. American Food and Game Fishes: A Popular Account of All the Species Found in by David Starr Jordan, Barton Warren Evermann (1902)
"... the other on the Pacific Coast. None is of sufficient abundance to be of much food-value. The genus Lopholatilus contains but i species, ..."
3. Outlines of Comparative Anatomy of Vertebrates by John Sterling Kingsley (1917)
"Anterior arterial vessels of the tile fish (Lopholatilus), ... Anterior venous system and heart of Lopholatilus, after' Silvester. a, e; ob, veins from air ..."
4. Library of Natural History by Richard Lydekker (1901)
"... in 1879, which received the name of tilefish (Lopholatilus ... to the catching of tilefish off the New England coast, the Lopholatilus disappeared. ..."