Definition of Art history
1. Noun. The academic discipline that studies the development of painting and sculpture.
Specialized synonyms: Iconology
Definition of Art history
1. Noun. the study of the history of the visual arts ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Art History Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Art History Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Art History
Literary usage of Art history
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A History of Art in Ancient Egypt by Georges Perrot, Charles Chipiez (1883)
"THE GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS OF EGYPTIAN ART, AND THE PLACE OF EGYPT IN art history. IN the study which we have now almost completed, we have made no attempt ..."
2. The Principles of Greek Art by Percy Gardner (1914)
"CHAPTER XVIII THE art history OF A MYTH : THE JUDGMENT OF PARIS THE relations between art-representation, on one side, and literature, on the other, ..."
3. The Quarterly Review by John Gibson Lockhart, George Walter Prothero, William Gifford, Sir John Taylor Coleridge, Whitwell Elwin, William Macpherson, Baron Rowland Edmund Prothero Ernle, Sir William Smith (1915)
"art history and Criticism 11. The Home Rule Truce . 12. Economic Aspects of the War . 13. The First Two Months of War 291 315 339 353 365 390 414 441 465 ..."
4. Art in Franceby Louis Hourticq by Louis Hourticq (1911)
"The principal periodicals to consult for French art history are: Les ... in interesting the general public in archaeological research and art-history. ..."
5. A History of Painting in Italy, Umbria, Florence and Siena, from the Second by Joseph Archer Crowe, Giovanni Battista Cavalcaselle (1903)
"... pleasant anecdotes about artists, men do not heed the mumbled protests of Dry-as-dust. The great heresiarch of art history, the chief disseminator of ..."
6. The American Magazine of Art by American Federation of Arts (1916)
"The courses in drawing and art history could follow afterward. As I have already suggested, the course which I have in mind would begin with an almost ..."
7. The Cumulative Book Index by H.W. Wilson Company (1901)
"art history in the high school. Perrot, G: Life Pub. Bent iron work. Erskine, FJ pa. 40e. nineteenth century. Attwood. FG $2. imp. Scribner. ..."
8. American Art Directory by R.R. Bowker Company, American Federation of Arts (1898)
"Lectures are given on art history and on other allied subjects. The reference library and reading-room are equipped with books pertaining to art history and ..."