Definition of Genus balistes
1. Noun. Type genus of the Balistidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Balistidae, Family Balistidae
Member holonyms: Balistes Vetula, Bessy Cerca, Oldwench, Oldwife, Queen Triggerfish
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Balistes
Literary usage of Genus balistes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Descriptive Catalogue of the Fossil Organic Remains of Reptilia and Pisces by Museum, Royal College of Surgeons of England (1854)
"genus balistes. 640. ... or dermal spine of a fish, allied to, or of, the genus Balistes. The convex enamelled side of this spine has two ..."
2. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Edward Griffith, Charles Hamilton Smith, Edward Pidgeon, John Edward Gray, George Robert Gray (1830)
"... has not been determined by M. de Blainville, though he decidedly assigns it to the genus Balistes, and to the habitat of the Mediterranean. TETRAODON. ..."
3. Lectures on the Comparative Anatomy and Physiology of the Vertebrate Animals by Richard Owen (1846)
"The name of the genus (Balistes) and the common Italian name of the species in question (Pesce balestra) refer to this structure : the spine of the Balistes ..."
4. Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales by Linnean Society of New South Wales (1878)
"... with the exception of there being no trace of the third dorsal spine—the chief distinguishing feature of the genus Balistes—the Fish seemed to be ..."